Friday, November 05, 2010

New Bomb Turkey 2010



There's a scant two weeks left to get yourself to a Melt location and grip what I think is quite possibly be the greatest sandwich to grace the gap between two thick slices of fresh baked bread ever. Give thanks, goddammit, for the NEW BOMB TURKEY:

Mesquite Smoked Turkey Breast
Mom’s Sage Stuffing
Roasted Butternut Squash
Muenster Cheese
with a Sweet Cranberry Dipping Sauce


I think the Mom's Sage Stuffing, coupled with the cranberry dippy, really kicks this sandwich into the realm of the ridiculous. It's really good. Also, there's a particularly awesome Vegetarian/Vegan version available with great homemade (All Hail) Seitan! That's the version I had, and I'm definitely planning on having it again before the end of November.



Squeezing my mind grapes to juice out some good ideas for this poster. I definitely didn't want to do a repeat of last year's homage to the New Bomb Turks. I really wanted to run wild with ideas about bombs, and turkeys. I could see a turkey flying a bomber jet dropping sandwich/bombs all over Cleveland. I was going to hope the fact that a turkey, which doesn't fly but is piloting a plane, would be enough to not directly equate the turkeys dropping sandwich/bombs to turkeys straight-up pooping on the city in the esteemed eyes of the poster viewer. I also thought of drawing a cartoonish old-timey bomb and adding obviously crafty legs and feathers to it. Sort of like when elementary pups add construction paper tail feathers and head, tooth pick legs, and a healthy dose of imagination to an everyday apple to create a tiny turkey. This path of thought would lead to obviously sketchy, possibly offensive, territory.



Turkeys playing football is a thing that's just about as much fun as you can have drawing a thing. Taking it to the next level and making one of the teams The Browns and one The Steelers was fun, but making the QB Number 19... that's just... Clevelandish. I have no idea who the other birds are, or if there even are players with those numbers from that time and place. Late 80s, Brownstown.



Speaking of Apples, I split the Apple Crisp Bread Pudding with a very special lady the other day, and it was bonkers delicious. Bonkers Delicious.

I've got more Melt jams to post up soon, so stay tuned!

No comments: