Friday, March 11, 2011

My Machine Gun Weighs a Ton



One week from right now is the window of opportunity for fans of eating off the hook sandwiches to get to MELT and give The Machine Gun Joe Sloppy Joe Melt a whirl. This is one of two sandwiches that tie into the midnight screening of the 1975 cult classic Death Race 2000 at The Capitol Theatre, over on West 65th Street, as part of Cleveland Cinema's Late Shift series.

Now, on with the details:
The Machine Gun Joe Sloppy Joe Melt

Tender Slow Roasted Shredded Beef
Tangy BBQ Sauce
Fresh Bell Peppers
Sweet Crunchy Slaw
Pepper-Jack Cheese
Vegetarian and Vegan Options




I actually drew the poster with Machine Gun Joe being a lot smaller on the page than he ended up, but realized I could bump him up a lot once I threw down all the text. This piece, of course, in a homage to one of the greatest movie posters of all time, that of SCARFACE. It's been bit on a majillion times by a zillion people, but I still felt the need to flip it a bit and make the suit he's wearing black and have him coming out if the shadows rather than being all white and facing them. Also, I felt like adding some touche of color so it didn't contrast too stark against the drawing of the sandwich. I toyed with the idea of making the art and sandwich black, white and red, but that train never left the station. Maybe I'll go back and try that?



I haven't seen Scarface in a long time, but man... what a great movie. I mean, it does kind of derail for me somewhere near the "Push it To The Limit" montage, but then that montage is so awesome on some level... I wonder if anyone's made a "Push it To The Limit" montage by taking scenes from the old 1932 Scarface, directed by Howard Hawks. I bet someone has. I bet that's out there.



I didn't want to abandon the look of the Death Race 2000 poster entirely, so I spent some time with the text treatments from it and made some moves that I think worked out pretty good. People designing text in the mid-seventies were pretty undeniably awesome. That must have been a totally weird time.

Anyway, if you haven't seen Death Race 2000, it would be totally fun to see on the big screen, and The Capitol is the place to do that. It's an beautiful theater. I might make it out, but honestly, I'll most likely be deep in the Graphics Mines digging up some raw mineral Art to forge into some more posters for you.

No comments: