Thursday, November 03, 2011

Nine Posters on the Third (Red 7 Owns)

All these posters are for Red 7 is Austin Texas. I think the last poster I drew for them that I posted was this guy, back in promotion for the Illustrious show at Wall Eye Gallery:



This one is so obviously a Mignola/BPRD riff, though I think it predates when I just started including the BPRD logo patch on characters gear. Been doing that a little bit lately.

I've been on a pretty fierce warpath for the Red 7 this year, and here (with the exception of the latest one I'm working on RIGHT NOW) are all the posters I've done for them. I may post future blog updates about some of these individually, but here they are in one huge gang, including links to as many of these bands as I can manage and a couple sentences for each.



Cleveland's own RINGWORM, this band Nails from California, New Lows from Boston, and Bitter End. This is the left hand half of a diptych, and I knew I wanted to go post-apocalyptic nomadic warrior types. I recently found this weird art thing called The Eighth Day that kinda sorta blew my brains out, LOOK AT THIS!



Saint Vitus has been around forever, it's pretty cool to get to do a poster for them. Dixie Witch and The Roller are both from Austin. So is Mala Suerte, which I thought was Spanish for Bad Dream, but it actually means Bad Luck. Mala SueƱo is Bad Dream... which I think is up or grabs as far as doom metal band names is concerned.

At any rate, I was way into this comic Orc Stain that this complete and total nutbag named James Stokoe is responsible for when I drew this. I especially like how insane that comic is. The colors are good too.



Here's the big drawing I did that I broke in half to make this dippy. Infinite Dragon, I don't know where I got that idea, other than I knew I wanted the images to flow into each other but not have like, a mirror effect so much. I did something like this before, with two dudes murdering the shit outta each other. I like to think these are all good posters on their own but then when you see the diptych it's next level type shit. At least I hope so.





A simple straight forward poster for a simple straight forward bill with three great bands. Big Business, Torche, and Thrones. This is actually also a creature design piece of the Lake Erie Monster, of which Jake Kelly and I are doing comics about. Which I will have some announcements about soon!



Man, there is no limit to how much I love Wolves In The Throne Room. I don't really know anything about Megaton Leviathan, but they were on tour with WiTTR, so they must be pretty cool. Pushmen and Skycrawler, I think are from Austin.

This piece was a lot of fun to draw, but getting a buffalo's head right was super challenging. Wolves in The Throne Room is thematically tied to nature and primitive energies, mythology and nature-based occultism, so I really wanted to do something that worked within those themes. Again, this is kind of sort of Mignola-influnced, but ...I think it stands on it's own, aside from that. Someday I'm going to book WiTTR to play on top of a mountain surrounded by a ring of bonfires in a thunderstorm. The poster for that is gonna be nuts.



Space Natives, Cosmic Nomads, I will be making a comic about these characters some day. I do strive to tell a story, imply a narrative with each piece. One poster conveying a bigger picture and a glimpse into a bigger world. Oh, hey: Dead Meadow, they're alright, Spindrift, and Rings Band (which I couldn't find anything about them but honestly didn't look too hard).



HEY New Bomb Turks! I drew this so long ago, and this show hasn't even happened yet! High Tension Wires, Grand Champeen and OBN IIIs. Did rock bands just run out of names? Or just the ambition to come up with a good one?

So, yeah, I drew this poster and then DC Comics relaunched everything they publish and included a Frankenstein comic where he rolls deep with a team of weirdos. Kinda made me happy, but then I got the first issue and was reminded that I am not the person that DC Comics are meant to be read by. Anyway, I like the idea of a carload of bonkers characters on an adventure, and Frankenstein at the wheel. Frankenstein, dudes. FRANKENSTEIN.



This poster is definitely one I will be posting a separate blog entry about. Why? SLAYER. I DREW A SLAYER POSTER. Yeah, so it's part of Fun Fun Fun Fest and it's not like I worked directly for Slayer, STILL.... SLAYER. This was a lot of fun to draw. Also, it's fun to listen to Slayer.

Fun Fun Fun Fest is this weekend and the line-up is absolutely absurd. I can't imagine the logistics of something like that, even just going there as a dude that wants to see bands play, and Brian Posehn talk about farting. I will go one of these years, but holy shit, this year is bananacakes.



Again, I'll be posting another process piece about this one. However, I will mention, this might be the most difficult thing I have drawn in forever. FOUR BMX bikes, with riders swinging various things. DOOMRIDERS to be exact. I will link to all the other bands later. They're playing at FFF Fest Red 7 for FFF Fest Nites, it's a free show you need your FFF Fest wristband to get in to. Still, I'm pretty stoked on this poster.

Next up is a handful of other show posters, and some comics pages. Genghis Con rapidly approaches! and I'll be hyping that up some more. Go check out the Genghis Con facebook page and RSVP to the event. Tell your friends, AND your enemies! Genghis Con is a demilitarized zone for all critical beefs!

2 comments:

Craig Collins said...

Wow! These are all fantastic John, really cool work. My favourite is the Wolves one on account of the old school Games Workshop vibe on the minotaur. Excellent stuff!

John G said...

Thanks Craig! Yeah, that one is one of my favorites.