Friday, August 06, 2010

Swamp Metal



This Grog Shop show is going to be loud, heavy, and ridiculous. I've never actually seen Fu Manchu, but I feel like I've been at at least three or four events where they were playing. Someday I will see them. Black Tusk from Savannah, Georgia, apparently rocks the genre of "Swamp Metal", which makes me extremely happy. I've never seen them either, but goddamn I think I'd like to. It's Casual has got to be one of the worst band names of all time. Were they a Lottery League band? Venomin James are the local; I feel like I've been at shows they've played but missed them too.



This is the first of what I hope will be many posters from Ithaca Underground, some rad DIY lunatics in Ithaca, NY. Again, with the mighty Black Tusk on the bill, so I opted to carry the characters along. The move was slightly backwards though. I drew the posters in order of sequence based on how they came across my desk, rather than by date chronology. Probably would have been smarter to do it the other way around. Well, I never said I was smart.

I like these characters, I like the post apocalypse, I like kittens, and apparently babies. I guess the big tough grayed out gladiatorial type lends itself to being the guardian of the blinded baby-mama. There's obviously a story before that first poster. What the hell is going on? Who are these people? Why is he GRAY? Why is she blind? Who's baby is that?

There's clearly a story that happens BETWEEN the posters. After taking a beating, our gray hero folds into the role of needing protection- the baby-mama rises up, dons the Antlered Helm, and holds her own with sword in hand. What happened? How the hell did that one antler break? Who's cat is that?

Will these questions ever be answered???

Most likely only in your minds, my friends.

No comments: