Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Dream Speaks



Page One

Panel 1: Looking down on a bed occupied by a disheveled mess of a man wearing tan Carhartt work pants stained with dirt, food, and ink, one boot on- one boot off, asleep on his back with a black cat curled up between his leg and a tuxedo cat stretched out next to him. It's dark, but there's a block of sunlight stretching across the bed/sleeping man. The bed is kind of a mess, with at least one book, a phone, no pillows, and maybe a blanket, but maybe the sheet is even pulled off one of the corners of the mattress.

Panels 2 + 3: Small inset panels, virtually the same image of a cell phone on the bed somewhere in the folds of fabric. In panel 2 it's just the phone, in panel 3 the phone is ringing and lit up with the name "Leia Alligator" on the screen. Sound effects "RRRRIIINNNGGG" in the background of panel 3.

Panel 4: Similar to panel 1, only now the disheveled man is awake and holding his phone to his ear. The tuxedo cat is awake and bothered- the other cat is still sleeping.

DISHEVELED MAN: I'M AWAKE!

VOICE FROM PHONE: HEY- IT'S ME. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

DISHEVELED: NOTHING. NOTHING. SUP?

VOICE: ARE YOU SLEEPING??

DISHEVELED: NO. YEAH. NAW- I NEED TO GET UP.

VOICE: IT'S 6PM! IN THE EVENING!

DISHEVELED: I WORKED ALL NIGHT- WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Page Two

Panel 1: Close up on the tuxedo cat, now sitting up on the edge of the bed as the disheveled man scratches behind his ears. We can see tattoos on the fingers of his hand, the letters D-R-A-W.

VOICE: I'M DRIVING TO CINCINNATI

DISHEVELED: WHAT'S IN CINCINNATI?

VOICE: I HAVE TO PARTY WITH SOME GHOSTS AND TIME TRAVELERS, IT'S FOR WORK.

DISHEVELED: AWESOME

Panel 2: Close up on Disheveled's other hand as he grabs a wire shelf to pull himself up into a seated position, we can see the tattoos on his other fingers H-A-R-D.

DISHEVELED: I'M GONNA BE LATE FOR INDIAN FOOD

VOICE: INDIA GARDEN??

DISHEVELED: YEAH- I'VE NEVER ACTUALLY BEEN THERE

VOICE: IT'S SOOO GOOD, I'M JEALOUS!

DISHEVELED: I'M NOT EVEN HUNGRY.

Panel 3: Mid to long shot, looking down on the scene again. The tuxedo cat is jumping off the bed, passed a wheelchair that's parked next to it. This is the first time we can actually fully see the chair. Disheveled Man is now petting the all black cat that's still between his legs as it wakes up.

VOICE: WELL... I'M CALLING FOR TWO REASONS

DISHEVELED: OH YEAH? YOU'RE NOT JUST MY FRIEND, THE ALARM CLOCK?

VOICE: ONE, I SAW THE AD YOU MADE FOR CLEVELAND MAGAZINE. THE ONE WITH ME AND JOHN. IT'S PRETTY FUNNY.

DISHEVELED: OH, YOU SAW THAT?

VOICE: JOHN SENT IT TO ME. HAHAHA. IT'S GREAT, WE'RE GOING TO HIT MELT DRESSED IN THOSE GET-UPS AND LIKE, TRY AND GET FREE SANDWICHES FOR BEING IN THE AD.

Panel 4: Close up on Disheveled, holding the phone up to his ear. Even in the shadows, the concerned look on his face, the mass crinkles a the corners of his eyes, are still visible.

VOICE: TELL 'EM "HEY- THIS IS US!"

DISHEVELED: HA! I DON'T KNOW IF IT WORKS THAT WAY.

DISHEVELED: Y'KNOW, ANYTIME YOU WANT SANDWICHES, I CAN EASILY MAKE THAT HAPPEN.

VOICE: OH, I'M KIDDING! DON'T BE SILLY!

DISHEVELED: HEY- I'M BEING SERIOUS.

Page Three

Panel 1: Worm's eye view, looking up at the bed from the floor, looking passed the wheelchair and tuxedo cat, the black cat is looking down off the side of the bed. Disheveled is now holding a boot by the laces in his other hand.

VOICE: WELL, I'M ALSO CALLING BECAUSE I WANT TO COMMISSION A DRAWING- BUT IT'S TOTALLY WEIRD.

DISHEVELED: TOTALLY WEIRD, I CAN DO.

Panel 2: Disheveled now has his boot up on his foot, the black cat is now sitting up and intensely interested in the boot.

VOICE: WELL, I WAS GETTING UP TO LEAVE EARLIER, AND JOHN WAS STILL SLEEPING BUT HE WOKE UP TO SAY GOODBYE BEFORE I LEFT

VOICE: I COULD TELL HE WAS TOTALLY OUT OF IT, THEN HE TRIED TO EXPLAIN A DREAM HE WAS HAVING

DISHEVELED: HA!

Panels 3 and 4: Closing in on the black cat as she freaks out at the laces of the boot being shoved on Disheveled's foot.

VOICE: LISTEN, HE SAID IT WAS ABOUT A MAN MADE OF PIZZA FLAVORED TATER-TOTS...

VOICE: ...FIGHTING A GIANT MONSTER MADE OF TVs!

DISHEVELED: WHOA. THAT IS TOTALLY WEIRD.

Panel 5: Close up on the cat as she has a shoe lace in between her fangs.

VOICE: SO DO YOU THINK YOU CAN DO THAT? DRAW SOMETHING LIKE THAT?

DISHEVELED: A MAN MADE OUT OF PIZZA FLAVORED TATER-TOTS FIGHTING A GIANT MONSTER MADE OUT OF TVs?

VOICE: YEAH

DISHEVELED: OF COURSE.

Page Four

Panel 1: Close up on Disheveled's face, looking thoughtful but concerned, worried.

VOICE: HOW MUCH WOULD YOU WANT ME TO PAY YOU FOR THAT?

DISHEVELED: WELL... AS IT HAPPENS, I DO NEED TO DRAW A POSTER FOR THIS SHOW JOHN'S GOT COMING UP IN OCTOBER

Panel 2: Our disheveled hero has pulled his right leg off the bed, the cats have scattered, or are scattering, depending on the angle of the shot.

VOICE: OH, IS IT AIDS WOLF?!

DISHEVELED: YEAH, IT'S A PRETTY AWESOME SHOW. http://www.myspace.com/aidswolf, D.RIDER, CAVE BEAR, QUEENING, AND DPI*, WHOEVER THAT IS.

Panel 3: Disheveled is throwing his left leg off the bed next to the wheelchair. This might look awkward, but that's okay. It's actually kind of awkward to do.

VOICE: WHAT'S THE DATE FOR THAT AGAIN? I FORGET.

DISHEVELED: IT'S A TUESDAY, OCTOBER 19th... AT NOW THAT'S CLASS, I THINK.

VOICE: OF COURSE, WHERE ELSE COULD IT POSSIBLY BE?

Panel 4: Disheveled is now falling back across the bed, this could possibly be broken into two panels. at least one of the cats is jumping back up onto the bed, but definitely imply that the other is coming, show it's shadow in the background.

VOICE: SO THIS IS DOABLE? YOU CAN DRAW THAT FOR THIS POSTER?

DISHEVELED: HELL YEAH I CAN. THEN, WHEN I SEND IT TO JOHN HE'LL BE LIKE: "WHAT THE HELL?? THIS SHIT IS FROM MY DREAM!!"

VOICE: HAHAHA-haHAA! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!

Panel 5: Disheveled is laying on the bed, looking up, like panel 1 from page 1, the cats have returned too.

DISHEVELED: YEAH, ME EITHER!

DISHEVELED: HEY- LEIA, I GOTTA RUN! I'M GONNA BE LATE FOR INDIAN FOOD!

VOICE: DON'T DO THAT!

Panel 6: Close up on Disheveled again. Leave room for the Title, and Credits (DREAM SPEAK: BEHIND THE SCENES OF THE CREATIVE PROCESS Written by John G with Art by Shades McQuade**, Special Thanks to Leia Alligator and Zippy)

DISHEVELED: OKAY, HAVE A SAFE TRIP!

*The character doesn't realize didn't realize DPI was Dead Peasant Insurance right away.

**Shades McQuade, as far as I know, is not a real artist, or person for that matter. This name is just a stand-in until an artist that wants to draw*** this script steps up.

***This will never happen, this script was really just an exercise in typing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not sign a release for my dream to be used. I'm calling la poliz!
-Zip

John G said...

I think we can resolve this sticky legal conflict without the involvement of the authorities, though I feel like a certain Baking Company may be involved in the compensation end of things.

Anonymous said...

After all my extensive legal training I never thought I'd be resolving your legal issues with baked goods. Although, to be fair, in my experience free bakery can get you pretty far.