Tuesday, November 03, 2009

TETSUO



Municipal Waste, Goatwhore, Phobia, and Cauldron at Red 7 in Austin, Texas.

I went with Tetsuo, from AKIRA. Such an immensely great comic. This is obviously after Tetsuo loses control of his arm, but hasn't completely lot it yet.



Gah! I screwed up the quote at the bottom of the poster, I didn't even check. Anyway, this is a great panel from Vol. 4 of the Dark Horse black and white book versions of the series. I think it's the best way to read them. I've read all the old Epic color versions. In fact, when I was just a pup, I gripped issues 3 and 10 at a convention and lost my mind at how incredible they were. I don't know if I held onto those issues, but they were hugely influential on my desire to be an artist. I haven't thought about that in years. I used to reread them over and over again. Now I've read the big collections maybe as many as 8 or 9 times. There's something about the black and white that gives the story something more... I dunno, timeless?



Otomo rendered the destroyed city better than anybody. I learn so much looking at his pages and his backgrounds. Vol. 4 is easily my favorite because it's already 1000 pages into the story and he's reintroducing all the characters that you followed all the way up to that point. All bets are OFF after the climax of Vol. 3. I especially love Tetsuo's arch in this volume.

Here's a great sequence of pages where he's meditating on top of some rubble, while a crazy out of control battle is taking place over the span of what must be 150 - 200 pages.



That's page 317, Tetsuo creating a storm with his mind.



Page 347! Still going 30 pages later. What a bonkers bananacakes dude. I love it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

KANEEEDAAA!