Friday, January 08, 2010

A Bachelor in Cleveland 3: Follow That Beard



January's Cleveland Bachelor Show of The Month is rapidly approaching, and co-sponsored with the good cats and humans of Music Saves. The Rural Alberta Advantage, The Octagon, and The Buried Wires hold it down at The Beachland.



This rough was created, by scanning and layering maybe three or four different sketches, to print out and use as a guide for doing the final art. This is as fully rendered as I got with things before starting the final pencils, I think. It's kind of a mess, but I knew what I wanted it to look like in the end, so I didn't really need to get into the details.



Seriously, Justin Vaughn's beard is out of control at this point. Personally, I think it rules. I have opted out of the winter beard this year, trying to keep things clean. Unlike this line art, where I kept things pretty messy. I knew I wanted to go with a big open winter sky, splattered and textured out the eyeballs.



Coloring this was fun. Part of me still feels like it could have been a lot better, but then I got some pretty positive feedback, which made me feel better about it. I've been on the warpath lately, and there's definitely a point where you can over work a project. Sometimes that's a fine line.

No comments: