Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Queen Mother and Sweet Moses



Just a short post right quick to give a heads up for this Saturday's Midnight screening of Sci-Fi seminal ALIENS at The Capitol Theatre, and the cross-promo sandwich over at Melt bar & grilled, The Queen Mother Aliens Melt! It's Calamari dusted with cornbread and brown rice flour then fried to a golden brown, Roasted Spicy Poblano Pepper Jam, Roasted Garlic Lemon Aioli, Garlic Herb Cream Cheese.

ALIENS was the movie that taught me how to swear. Sometimes I feel kinda like a lazy bum with the ninepanelgrid blog. I should be up on here way way more often posting art and the what's what. Trying to stay on top of it lately, but find myself too focused on doing the art in the first place. One of my homies in the game that I got mad respect for, Dave Crosland, AKA: King Gum, has been on the warpath his an almost daily blog called Alphabet Attack, and CLEARLY he was as influenced as I was by ALIENS, Check this piece: Heroic Hicks!

I'm going to take this last moment to HIGHLY RECOMMEND, while you're down in the neighborhood, after you've grilled down on dinner at Melt, hotfoot your way over to Sweet Moses up on Detroit between W. 67th and W. 69th Streets. It's an old school soda fountain and ice cream shop. They make all their ice cream and it's all freaking amazing. I've been there twice and both times had a blast and ate some incredible treats.



First time my girl and I went, for the soft opening, I had a root beer float (pictured above). This past Saturday night we went and shared a couple sundaes. One was The Shoreway, coffee ice cream with hot fudge, toffee chunks, and almonds. The other was a scoop of Banana Foster ice cream with peanut butter and marshmallow sauces, and Spanish peanuts. I wish we had taken some pics of that but we housed them so fast it was an impossible. The taste of the ice cream itself is really strong and distinct. It's delicious, and balances really well with the richness of the sauces.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that place sounds amazing. I'll have to go next time I'm in cleveland (which will hopefully be soon).
PS - cute picture :)