Monday, February 13, 2012

Blacksun



Converge is playing again at The Grog Shop, April 9th. Another show with RINGWORM! Plus Loma Prieta and some band called Git Some, which is just about the worst name for a band this side of The Lottery League.

The inspiration for this poster came from a clip in a Converge video reminding me of specific pages and panels from Katsuhiro Otomo's AKIRA books. The video is for the song Wretched World, and right about 1:50 there's just these scenes of cities being blown up. The video takes a pretty sharp turn right after that, but it stuck with me and just made me think of AKIRA. I actually really love thinking about AKIRA, so I was stoked to run with that imagery. There's a scene where all of Tokyo gets destroyed, it's in ruins, and this one character that was right at the center of it all, The Colonel, somehow survived and is standing on the edge of a building's roof that is now knocked over looking out at the devastation (vol. 3, pg 275 of the Dark Horse printings). I'm not really sure where I got the idea of the black sun.

I've got some more bonkers things to post, some housekeeping, some updates and hopefully announcements. Go to this show, it's going to be pretty awesome.

No comments: