Friday, September 25, 2009

Thank You



I drew the art for this shirt for the one and only Uno Lady. They're not listed on her myspace page yet, but they're $8 and worth every penny. If you send her a note she'll probably hook it up. She had them available at her tape release show, so she'll probably also be selling them at any of her upcoming performances.



Here's what she gave me as a reference to draw from. She wanted herself in a Godzilla suit, her dog Flip Mo Pi in a tiny airplane with a banner behind it saying "Thank You". I will cherish this post-it masterpiece for as long as I live. I'm not kidding.



Here's the pencils. This was the second take. The first was almost the same, but rougher and without the city. The city's even crooked in this one, which makes things weird. I didn't sweat it. I knew I could fix it when it came time to throw down for the final. Sometimes, that's how things work.



I liked this project a lot. I had a good time with it. I went with a particularly cartoony take, and with good results. Cartoons are fun. I intentionally left out the gritty ink splatter that has now become what I'd imagine is an identifier of my work. A signature, some might say. I knew this was being screen printed and I wasn't sure if that kind of detail would make it onto the shirts. When I sent this to Uno Lady, she wrote back "Hey, where's my John G gritty ink splatter?"



I took to it, and made it happen. I think it came out awesome. There's more Godzilla type giant monster offerings to come in the very near future. Giant Monsters are part of the zeitgeist, right now.

Speaking on scree printing... in case you're reading this on Friday, September 25th 2009, and not on some distant date in the future , Died Young Stayed Pretty is showing at the Cinematheque tonight and tomorrow night, and Eileen Yaghoobian will be here to talk and answer questions after the film. I made a poster for it, you can see here.

No comments: